The mission of the Center for Democratic Deliberation is to promote better understanding of the habits and traditions of democratic deliberation. With a view toward promoting more robust public discussion, the Center supports historical, theoretical, and empirical research on democratic deliberation, and it develops educational and outreach initiatives designed to promote engaged democratic citizenship.
In service of this mission, the Center aims to:
- Build an interdisciplinary community of scholars and teachers who share the Center’s concerns;
- Sponsor research and publications on issues of concern to the Center;
- Support graduate students working on issues of concern to the Center;
- Promote rhetorical competence and civic literacy in K-12 and undergraduate education;
- And contribute to outreach initiatives designed to promote public deliberation and engaged democratic citizenship.